Major Power Outage Information
Below is a detailed list of major power outages that have occured throughout Hawkeye's service territory.
Date: Friday, May 25, 2012
9:00 a.m. “Members of Hawkeye REC in the western half of Howard County experienced a power outage last night due to a lightning strike at the Saratoga Substation causing the entire sub to be down for roughly one hour. Members north of Decorah also experienced short power outages after a large tree fell on a power line during the storm. We appreciate your patience while the linecrews worked safely to restore power last night.”
Date: Monday, Janaury 23, 2012
7:00 p.m. "Members in Chickasaw, Howard and Winneshiek counties experienced power outages due to ice build-up on Dairyland Power's transmission lines. The galloping lines caused outages for members on the Cresco Substation (584 members), Lawler Substation (266 members), Little Turkey Substation (517 members), and Schley Substation (466 members) for most members lasting 1 hour or less with an isolated area near Lawler that experienced a longer outage that was related to the galloping lines. We appreciate your patience as crews worked to restore power to all those affected."
Real-time outage map
You can view live outage information by county or electric co-op service territory. The website automatically refreshes every 10 minutes, but you have to hit your Refresh button to see the udpates. This website is provided by the Iowa Association of Electric Cooperatives (IAEC) in Des Moines that covers all the electric cooperatives in Iowa.
24-Hour Outage: (800) 927-5265
Hawkeye's primary goal is to get the power back on to everyone in the quickest and safest fashion possible:
1. First priority is public safety, so crews are sent to remove damaged power lines from the roadways first.
2. After that, substation power is restored.
3. Next, the major distribution feeders are repaired. These are the power lines that come out of a substation that have three wires resting on a crossarm.
4. Tap lines are repaired next. Tap lines carry power to groups of homes from the distribution feeders. You may see your neighbors' lights come on while yours remains out, because there is still damage to your individual lines.
5. Finally, individual service lines are repaired.
Back to News